If you are responsible for seeing through a planning application for a residential development you may have been asked by your local authority to carry out a noise assessment to accompany your planning application. A local authority will be obliged to do this if they think that there is a reasonable chance that future residents will be exposed to excessive noise levels from traffic or from industrial and commercial sources operating nearby.

They will generally recommend that you seek expert independent advice in order that an objective assessment of noise can accompany the planning application.